Menu

Interior Renovations

Here's a video from this Interior Renovation project.

This was an older house (roughly 60 - 70 yrs) and was originally built with an enclosed porch off of the livingroom. The homeowners wished to have the wall opened up between the two rooms, allowing for more space and light. As well, the old, dark trim would be removed or painted white.

This is the 'old' livingroom with heavy, dark stained trim and ceiling moldings. Time to go . . .

The porch floor area (painted green in this photo) also needed to be built up to match the height of the livingroom floor.

Looking back into the livingroom, where the new opening would be created.

With the plaster removed, one can see the old methods of framing. Today, the tops of the openings would be framed with heavy headers, or lintels. Back in the day, the approach was to simply lay doubled up 2" x 4" 's on the flat side. Over the long term, these openings sag.

Here's a close up view of the old framing - the sag in the top opening is quite evident. Not only is this inadequate, but the 2" x 4"'s were only nailed in from the sides. Today, we have support members under the headers at each end.

Like I've said before - 'They don't build 'em like they used to . . ' That's a GOOD thing!

With all the old stuff out of the way, a new, engineered beam has been installed. Compared to the old double lumber, this 3 ply, 16" (!!) deep beam is many, many times stronger than what was there before.

Here is another example of how the insufficient old style framing leads to sagging. This was for another, smaller opening in the livingroom.

Here's that same opening with a double 2" x 12" header that replaced the old framing.

With the framing complete, the drywall has been installed, finished and primed.

Looking back into the livingroom, the one set of double doors can be seen. These doors (and one other set on an adjoining wall) were originally hung to swing out on hinges, but the owners wanted them to be converted to pocket doors. To make that all work, I built out a false wall to install the pocket door kits into. That way, we didn't have to disturb the load bearing walls or damage the diningroom walls.

The finished room, looking out into the old porch area. As part of building up the floor in this area, the exterior french doors also had to be raised up.

Here's a look towards the pocket doors and the 'repaired' doorway opening. Notice how much cleaner & brighter this space is without the dark wood trim and ceiling moldings!

* * * I sure am lucky to always work with customers who have good design ideas ;-) * * *

At the end of this room, one can see the window seat I built. This not only serves as a comfy spot to relax, but there is also built in storage under the cushions - plus, it filled a 'dead' spot behind the short wall.

Please feel free to email me with any questions you may have!